Michael and Therese

While in Sydney, I received the news of the marriage of my brother Michael to our cousin Therese Yammouni, on the island of Cyprus year 1976, I composed this poem especially for the happy occasion. 

O Cyprus! 
For God’s sake let me know 
How my tears become so bountiful 
And my heart throbbing sturdily 
O Cyprus! 
On my behalf, 
Decorate your city squares 
And embrace my brother so tenderly. 
O My neighbour! 
Congratulate Therese - His bride 
And from your flowers 
Give them a gift 
And let a choir of birds  
Sing in their wedding! 
George, her father 
And her mother Carmen 
So happy for their obedient daughter! 
To his daughter-in-law 
My father said: 
Your wishes will be granted 
Your ant Patronella will cover for me 
My dearest niece from Barsa 
A bride and a ray of sunshine 
To you I will say it once: 
You and Micho are forever in my heart 
You are not only my niece 
But also my only daughter 
Congratulations my dearest daughter. 
**
Written by Charbel Baini 
Translated by Elie Shaanin


ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق